- Offered Salary 21000
- Career Level Manager
- Experience 10 Years +
- Gender Any
- Industry Construction
- Qualifications Degree Bachelor
The position holder shall be responsible for designing all firefighting system etc. to:
(a) comply with all international acceptable design standards
(b) achieve cost effectiveness
(c) fulfil the end-user requirement of functionality and system safety.
Additionally the position holder shall ensure all activities, work and such are carried out in an efficient, effective, timely and above all safe manner.
- Carry out detailed design of various Fire & Life Safety Systems & facilities in accordance to the end-user requirement in accordance to international fire design codes and specifications.
- Liaise with other designers, including architects, to agree on safe designs and their fit with the aesthetic concept of the construction/project. Provide technical assistance and guidance to architects, engineers, developers, contractors, building owners, and various fire department personnel by providing a technical interpretation of building and fire codes as they apply to a jurisdiction.
- Prepare design calculation for all design works as required.
- Review and ensure drawings are prepared to the international standards level of acceptance.
- Gather and collect all relevant data and information, existing records and all available drawings, previous studies, pertinent data on existing services, etc.
- Prepare drawings, specifications, installation instructions for systems and equipment for contractors.
- Develop and prepare full project scope of works, specifications, Bill of Quantities (BOQ)/Bill of Materials (BOM), cost/budgetary estimates and tender deliverables (front-end document, etc.).
- Respond to queries received from the tenderers
- Prepare technical evaluation report for all tenders
- Prepare and/or review method statement, risk assessment and risk mitigation plan for various construction activities.
- Review of any design calculations submitted by other subcontractors, designers etc.
- Review of contractor submission such as material specifications, material samples, method statements, any reports, risk assessments, traffic diversions and any reports submitted by consultant or contractor during the design and construction stage.
- Review of system designs and equipment for projects utilizing international fire design and operational codes.
- Design and specification of Fire & Life Safety systems, requirements and codes as per NFPA 101 Fire & Life Safety and ICC Fire Code.
- Review of construction and design drawings for fire & life safety systems, design considerations and specifications to make sure that all requirements are met for each project in the design phase, so that HSSE & Fire & Life Safety is predominant in all projects.
- Review site, construction, sprinkler, standpipe, fire alarm, and all other system plans to ensure that they conform to the applicable regulations, standards, and codes.
- Evaluate and review sprinkler systems, fire main installations, detection and alarm systems, smoke control systems, and other fire protection components.
- Evaluate briefs submitted by engineers seeking approval for code equivalency.
- Attend site inspections, site quality audit for verification of adherence to construction requirements and international accepted standards of construction.
- Prepare simple construction programmes, monitoring and progress reporting of the entire project from start of construction to hand over in terms of Fire & Life Safety.
- Conduct fire safety and building code inspections of new and existing buildings, systems as well as buildings under construction for code compliance. Inspections will include the testing of fire alarm and sprinkler systems, and all other system types. Prepare and implement this inspection programme for fire & life safety over the course of the construction projects with reports, deadlines, defects, change orders, citations etc.
- Act as a technical resource for incident commanders by providing information concerning structural stability, hazardous materials, and fire protection components. Responsible for reactivation and re-acceptance tests of fire alarm and sprinkler system.
- Assist in preparing tender documentation, expressions of interest, tender circulars, Instruction to Tenderers, method of measurement, post-tender clarifications
- Prepare tender technical evaluation reports.
- Assist in the financial negotiations of contracts when requested.
- Participate and conduct pre-tender conferences/meetings and post-tender meetings.
- Assist fire investigators. Duties may include cause and origin determination, reconstruction using fire modelling, system operation, system failure, and code compliance.
- Perform other department duties related to his position as directed by the head of the department.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Must demonstrate experience in design works for Fire Fighting and Fire & Life Safety systems projects.
- Knowledge of:
+ Fire protection engineering methods and practices.
+ Installed fire extinguishing and related safety systems.
+ Safety practices to be followed in structures where hazardous solids, liquids, or gases are to be manufactured, used or stored.
+ Firefighting equipment, its uses, capabilities, and limitations.
+ The local & international Building Codes as it relates to fire protection.
+ National Fire Protection Association Standards.
+ Correct grammar, spelling, and syntax to write coherent reports and correspondence.
+ The principles of hydraulics related to water supply delivery.
+ Structural fire protection.
+ The nature and characteristics of fire and related hazards.
+ How fires originate, develop, and spread.
+ Fire prevention systems and practices.
+ Manual and automatic fire detection systems.
+ Fire control and suppression systems and practices.
+ The effects of fire and fire effluents on buildings, fire prevention and detection systems, and people.
+ The hazards and risks associated with fire.
- Ability to:
+ Check and evaluate engineering construction documents including plans and specifications to ensure compliance with applicable codes, ordinances, and standards.
+ Evaluate smoke removal rational analysis reports to ensure compliance with applicable codes, ordinances, and standards.
+ Evaluate sprinkler, fire suppression and fire alarm shop drawings and calculations to ensure compliance with applicable codes, ordinances, and standards.
+ Evaluate architectural plans to ensure compliance with applicable codes, ordinances, and standards.
+ Perform hydraulic water flow test and analyse the results of the tests.
+ Work effectively with engineering and fire protection professionals & make critical decisions in stressful situations.
+ Communicate effectively with peers, supervisors, and members of the public from different cultures and backgrounds.
+ Write technical reports using correct grammar, spelling, and syntax.
+ Be tactful in dealings with higher authorities regardless of whether the authority is technically or organizationally higher.
+ Interpret federal, state, and local codes, ordinances, and standards pertaining to fire protection.
+ Work efficiently with minimal supervision to complete assigned tasks expeditiously.
+ Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other governmental agencies.
+ Identify fire hazards and risks in order to take corrective action.
+ Apply mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry.
- Experience in contract and tender preparation, tender reviewing, tender price analysis, project planning and controls, contract and tender management and administration, budgetary and cost estimating, contractual audits, claims analysis and assessment.
- Must have knowledge with mechanical engineering software, AutoCAD, Pipeline flow control software etc.
- Must have advanced working knowledge in MS Office applications (Word and Excel). Knowledge in using Project related applications such as MS Projects and/or Primavera P6.
- Able to prepare technical and commercial evaluation reports.
- Excellent English language, written and communication skills.
- Ability to function under pressure and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Have a strong technical knowledge which has been applied through value engineering analysis and the review of shop drawings, specifications, and material submission
- Be able to function effectively and efficiently under own initiative and in a team environment.
- Possess the required leadership skills to manage, develop, and motivate teams to achieve their objectives.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Protection Engineering from an accredited University or Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET).
- Must be QCDD certified as Fire and Life Safety Engineer
MINIMUM YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
- 10-15 years of post-graduate/professional experience in Fire Protection, Aviation or MEP Consulting Industry with emphasis on Fire & Life Safety of Fire Fighting.
- Minimum of 5 years working experience with design consultant.
- OTHER TECHNOLOGY KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Register Professional Fire Fighting Engineer or A registered P.E. in Fire Protection Engineering as verified by examination administered by the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveys in your country.